Q. I'm off-campus and I can't login to electronic resources (e-journals, databases). What's up?
There are a number of reasons why you may be having trouble. First, confirm that you are entering your username and password on the correct USciences login screen. (Many of our database vendors also have login screens, but in most cases you would never use these to gain access to a database.) The USciences screen looks like this:
If the login screen looks different than this, first go to the library website and then retrace your "research steps". For example, if you were searching in ProQuest, make sure you entered ProQuest from a link on the library website.
Now that you're sure you have the right login screen, here are some things to consider:
- Are you making a typographical error?
- Usernames and passwords are case-sensitive. Make sure your caps-lock key isn't down as you enter your username and password.
- Keep in mind that if you enter the wrong credentials ten times in a row, you will be locked out of the system for approximately 60 minutes. After that, the lockout will be cleared and you can try again. (Resetting your password will not end the lockout).
- Is your browser having problems accepting cookies?
- Your browser must be able to accept cookies from our site for you to receive remote access to e-resources.
- Cookie settings may change in your browser without your knowledge – so even though you had access yesterday, you might not have access now. Setting changes can be caused by harmful or benign events, like a malware infection or a software update.
- See this post for more information on your cookie settings: http://ask.library.usciences.edu/a.php?qid=176851
- Has your access been disabled?
- Did you recently finish your last semester in a program? If so, your access has probably been disabled. Unfortunately, we are not able to negotiate licenses that extend access to alumni (this includes those who are between end-of-term and graduation).
- Are there any financial holds on your account?
- Is the network extremely busy (or down)?
- During exams and the start of terms, the network handles higher traffic. At these times you may occasionally experience a "time out" of a page-load or other network load issue. If this occurs, close/re-open your tab or browser, wait a moment and try again.
- Sometimes the network is down for scheduled maintenance. This usually interrupts access to e-resources. Details of planned outages are generally posted on the library homepage well in advance.
- Password Reset
- If you continue having problems logging in, try resetting your password. You can use the password management system to reset or change your password.
- After resetting your password we recommend that you close and re-open your browser(s). Following this, clear the browser(s)’ cache, cookies, and history before attempting your next login.
- If you have any questions about this password reset form or have problems resetting your password, please contact the Technology Services HelpDesk. They suggest that all tickets be submitted via this site: http://helpdesk.usciences.edu/. Emergencies can be reported by phone at 215-596-7611 (for students) and 215-596-7575 (for faculty and staff).
FINAL NOTE: If after resetting your password you can access other campus web resources such as Blackboard and Webadvisor, but you still cannot access library resources, use the "Ask a Librarian" field above to alert us to your situation. (Please be sure to tell us that you can access other campus web resources such as Blackboard and Webadvisor, but you still cannot access library resources.)